Our guardian families are an integral part of our program! They provide permanent loving homes for our breeding dogs. Once the dog is retired from breeding quality puppies in forever homes with approved families in Ontario.
How does the guardianship program work?
Breeding prospects are carefully chosen for the qualities they exhibit (superior temperament, coat, health testing, etc). Our most promising puppies are placed with approved families who wish to participate in our guardianship program. As the pups grow up, they return to Cavapoos of Ontario periodically for health testing, breeding, and whelping. The guardian home program provides an excellent life for the dog. We encourage guardian families to bring their puppies to visit so that they are familiar with our home and feel comfortable coming to stay with us.
- Females with return to our home to whelp 8 litters. They will stay with us for 8-10 weeks, until puppies are weaned. After the 8 litters the ownership is transferred to the guardian family.
- You benefit by getting a top quality Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy free, and by getting to be part of the excitement of our breeding program.
- We benefit by remaining kennel free and staying true to our motto: A house is not a home, without a Cavapoo!
Basic Requirements for becoming a guardianship home
Families MUST meet all of these requirements to be considered for our Guardian Home Program.
1. You must live within the GTA area and South Simcoe area and have plans to remain in this area for the next 4-5 years. Families that live further away will be considered if they agree to transport the dog back and forth to us when needed.
2. You must be willing to provide the puppy with a permanent, loving home.
3. You must understand and be willing to assume the additional responsibilities involved in caring for an intact dog.
4. Somebody must be home during the day so that the dog does not spend long periods of time alone. Ideally, the family will be retired or will have one partner not working outside the home.
5. You must have a fully fenced yard and own your own home.
6. You must have your own car to transport the dog.
7. You must be willing to crate train the puppy.
8. You must be willing to take your puppy to obedience class (approved location by Cavapoos of Ontario) and show proof of completion.
9. You must be willing to provide veterinary care and grooming for the dog as per Cavapoos of Ontario specifications.
10. You must be willing to feed the dog approved food and treats by Cavapoos of Ontario.
11. You must be willing to maintain open communication with Cavapoos of Ontario and allow us to have regular contact with the dog.
12. You must be willing to return the dog to us as needed for health testing, breeding, and whelping.
13. You must be willing to socialize the puppy by taking it everywhere possible and showing it life in general.
If you think that you might be interested in becoming a guardianship home for one of our breeding dogs, please contact us and indicate that you are interested in being considered for our guardianship program. We look forward to hearing from you!